Here are some of the important steps to take when a loved one dies.
- Notify relatives and friends.
- Contact your parish and notify the pastor or pastoral minister. They will assist you in planning the vigil and funeral liturgy.
- Make cemetery arrangements, if these have not been made in advance. A family counselor at The Catholic Cemeteries can help you through the process. Burial Options & Products
- Make funeral home arrangements.
- Write an obituary. The funeral home can assist you with this step.
- Notify insurance agent(s).
- Secure important information about the deceased, including date and place of birth, Social Security number and/or veteran’s serial number, etc.
- Check deceased’s will for special wishes.
- Assemble important documents, including will, cemetery and/or funeral arrangement documents, birth certificate, marriage license, etc.
For a free pre-planning guide that provides more detail, call The Catholic Cemeteries at 651-228-9991.